Monday, April 4, 2011

I know cool people.



being the creative type has a lot of perks. one of the best is that I get to connect with other creative people, most of whom are fascinating, cool, and fun to be around. one such person is the inherently cool Sarah McNabb, who I have been lucky enough to know since our days together in high school. {even then she was ridiculously talented!}



much of Sarah's work in illustration is inspired by nature, chemistry, alchemy, mythology, & literature. there's a mysterious fantastical quality in her work; it is so full of movement & emotion. every piece fills me with immense curiosity; I could pore over her pieces for hours picking up the subtle nuances and meaning.

I really love the way she describes her illustrations as "fine art unfit for mass consumption"... a hybrid of Surrealism & exaggerated fantasy



in her words...

I worked backwards from the title and sketched The Dream Pools while on a cruise to Central and South America. Surrounded by ocean and sun, I plugged in and this piece came swirling to life with the help of Marooned by Pink Floyd. A few of my obsessions - moving water, a clawfoot tub, Poe's cask - were carefully crafted onto this 2D surface like one would gingerly place their treasures into a velvet-lined steamer trunk.

Poe and Pink Floyd, people. LOVE.

to top things off she's also an amazing graphic & web designer. examples of that work along with her illustrations can be found on her page - Famous After I Die
....and.... you can follow her latest creative pursuits through her brand new blog here

I promise you'll be inspired!


1 comment:

  1. Unique. Very nice and I certainly look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete